Monday, July 21, 2008

Thoughts From Alyssa

Let me begin by saying thank you. Thank you Diane, Melissa, Carol, Adam, Dave and Linda, Sarah, Amy, Rachel, Mom, and Danielle. And thank you, St. Mark, for sending this amazing team with your prayers, finances, and love.

Now, how would I summarize the week (I mean, besides amazing)? I’d like to focus on 4 major areas I saw that the team was used. The first occurred less than 24 hours after their plane landed: the team was the “bait” that drew several of my families from school to church for the first time. Several weeks ago, I sent home a letter with all of my students explaining that this group from the US was coming and inviting them to a Saturday night of English and Paraguayan culture, and then our church service and lunch on Sunday (I teach English to 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th graders at a Christian school, where the majority of students come from culturally Catholic families.). The kids were SOOOOOO excited to meet these real, live people who came all the way from the United States! Their enthusiasm was precious. Anyway, the parents seemed to be very pleased with their kids’ progress, Saturday night, as they saw them interacting with my English speaking friends, which felt really good. And then on Sunday, 4 of them came to church and lunch! I think I was as delighted as their parents to see Amy being chased by Wanda, Rachel and Sarah playing death ball with Silene and Camila, and Adam roughing up Gerardo and Nico.  And I was also so thankful that these new families got to see the Redeemer drama, and hear Dave and Linda’s testimony. Please pray that God would continue drawing these families to Himself.

That same weekend, I was so thankful for the opportunity to show my home church how God is moving among Paraguayan believers. Basically, I was just beaming with pride the entire time. I was so proud of the St. Mark team, as well as my Paraguayan brothers and sisters who have so inspired, challenged, and cared for me. After the church service, Sunday morning, we went out to Kapi-I, a rural town where our church leaders have been involved in a church plant. I think all of the St. Mark team members were struck by the sacrifices made by these new believers, as well as their radiant joy, peace, humility, and joy. I’m sure if you ask any of them, they’d love to give you their impressions of the evening. It is so exciting to be a mere member of the global body where Christ is the head. Sometimes, we North Americans can forget that we shouldn’t always be in the teacher’s role. In so many areas of development, we’re on top. But in God’s economy, we have a lot to learn from the less educated and influential of this world. I was so thankful for how the St. Mark team embraced and experienced the Paraguayan part of Christ’s body.

Now to get to the real reason they came- What a refreshing week we, missionaries had at our Spiritual Life Conference! Thank you SO much for making it possible, St. Mark! As a member of the worship team, I got to see the missionaries participating in the time of musical worship, as opposed to leading it (which is what they’re normally doing). I’m sure Adam, Danielle, and Beth would agree that it appeared to be a very appreciated time. And as for the childcare… let’s just say that the St. Mark team got raving reviews. With so many teachers, parents, crafters, and thespians among them, the kids had a fun, stimulating, and memorable week, and their parents felt safe leaving them in the team’s care. What a highlight it is for our kids to spend the week together and have special lessons prepared for them in ENGLISH, with Christian adults besides their parents as the teachers! In addition to that, it was SO good to give the parents, especially young, isolated moms, a chance to connect with/ pray for one another. With each passing day, I saw my team being refreshed, renewed, and reenergized for another year of ministry. Thank you.

Finally, during our debriefing time, I was able to articulate a fourth blessing that I’ve personally received from the team. On the way back from the falls, Linda was reading an article on reentering back into US culture after having been away. According to the article, reentry can be really tough because no one in the home culture has shared the cross cultural experience, and the missionary (though this was referring to short term missions) can feel very alone. At this point in the article, I began tearing up as I anticipated my own reentry into US culture. Missionaries say that it’s as if everyone in your home culture sees through yellow glasses, while your host culture sees through blue ones. The returning missionary, then, sees everything green and has trouble fitting with both groups. In these last 2 years, God has changed me. Because St. Mark sent this team, however, I know I will not reenter alone. You have now been to Kapi-I. You have experienced Ramon’s pure joy and have seen the church exploding, here, despite persecution. You have prayed for the unity and continued deepening of this sweet body. You have stayed in Paraguayan homes and have taken cold showers. You understand how their homes can be small but hearts are enormous. You have ridden in Augustine’s van and prayed that it wouldn’t break down. You have seen Kurupi (the mythological guy with the big vine looking thing around his waist). You have worshiped at my church in Villarrica. You have heard my friends’ testimonies and eaten their food. You have been interviewed by my students and can understand how they’ve stolen my heart. You have prayed that we wouldn’t be struck by oncoming traffic. You have also prayed that our abandoned vehicle wouldn’t be hit from behind while we serenely looked at the stars. You have come to love my missionary coworkers and their little ones whom I’ve adopted as surrogate nieces and nephews. You know them by name. You have eaten fresh oranges and seen cows along the side of the road. You know my world, and when I come home in a year, I do not fear being alone. Thank you.

(posted by Alyssa Lugbill)

2 comments:

Steve Matteson said...

Thank you Alyssa for this beautiful post. Diane shared the St. Mark family this past Sunday that her trip to Paraguay might be one of the best experiences of her life (besides marrying me :) Reading your thoughts validated for me the great worth of the money spent to send her. I know we are all so encouraged and uplifted to know that their ministry did impact for good the lives of the missionaries and the children of SIM. Thank you for your wonderful work in preparing the way for our team to be effective.

Blessings,
Steve

paraguayalyssa said...

Thank You, Steve. Just wanted to give an update to my post- today one of the families that came to church for the first time that week that the team was here came back for the second week in a row! Praise the Lord!!! Check out my blog post FRUIT! FRUIT! FRUIT! for the full story, on www.paraguaydailyreflections.blogspot.com. Thank you all!!!!!