Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thoughts from Diane and Beth

Hi everybody, this is diane/dino writing. It’s Wednesday afternoon, a beautiful day again, with sun and nice warm weather. Even tho it’s officially winter here, it’s been like our typical summer days, but it gets dark out at 5:30-6:00, which is weird. But I’ve been able to get some sunning in today, and running in yesterday, which makes me very happy J which people close to me know is a good thing!

We have very busy days, but they’ve been great days. We are bonding with the little ones we are working with and as each day goes by, our plans run a little smoother. We’ll have it down pat by tomorrow, which is our last day here! We have done a ton of improvising and are on our toes for some solid blocks of time. The missionaries’ kids are adorable and hopefully some good pics will be posted soon by someone who knows how to do it…

The food has been excellent, both over the weekend and here at the retreat. What is really nice tho, is that we just walk into the cozy, homey cafeteria load up our food from the spread, sit down and eat, then just leave our plates,etc and walk away! So even tho we are working hard, there are ‘perks’ I didn’t expect!

Our whole team is doing well but we are all very tired. So you can pray for our strength as we finish up the week at the retreat through Friday morning. Even tho things haven’t always gone as planned, we are getting along and have had some hardy laugh times.

I’ve been able to surprise my team and myself with the Spanish that came back to me, which was especially useful over the weekend in villarica. That’s been fun.

So far adam hasn’t walked into any ladies’ bathrooms and we are all very proud of him. (you better not delete this line, adam)


Sorry our postings haven’t been too frequent, but as you are probably aware, we’ve had issues with time, access, and connection since we’ve been gone. But thanks for your interest and prayers on our behalf and for your note, donna! I AM doing well. I might not even come home! (jk)

Personal note to my husband – thanks for the emails. I was able to read 1 of 2, before I started having trouble with gmail. Love you, miss you, tell everyone hi.

Hey everyone ~ It’s Beth, this time. Of course, it’s been wonderful to see Alyssa again!!! Danielle and I are soaking up the “girl time” whenever we can get it. We’re sharing a room here at the retreat so that really helps accomplish that!! Alyssa is doing well. We had an absolutely fabulous time in Asuncion and Viarrica last weekend with many of the elementary students, their families, the young adults, and the Paraguayan church members that Alyssa works with directly. It was so clear to me that she is having the privilege of effectively ministering in Jesus’ name here in Paraguay. Thank you to all of you who are supporting her both in prayer and finances. Traveling to Kapi on Sunday night to share in presenting the Gospel through drama and music was incredible. As we sat on benches amongst the chickens roosting in the trees above, the cows mooing, and the dogs meandering up on our cement block platform/stage, God’s presence felt almost palpable! The passion and commitment of “Pastor Ramon” was an incredible inspiration to all of us. God’s using one man and his family – the only Christians in the immediate area who are completely devoted to Him – to reach his neighbors and friends at his “house church,” was nothing short of AWESOME. With 3 people on the platform, sharing the message in 3 languages – Guadani, Spanish, and English - Linda commented that only the love of Jesus could produce the kind of love and sense of community amongst complete strangers as we experienced both in the morning worship service and in the evening gathering. GOD IS ALIVE IN WELL IN PARAGUAY!!

The missionary retreat is also going well. As Diane said, we crave any moments of “down time” we can find due to the demands here. But, it is so gratifying to be able to serve the missionaries who have come together from around Paraguay to find fellowship and renewal. Initially many seemed weary and spent. As the week has progressed I can physically see more rested and refreshed bodies, minds, and spirits. Their many young children have won our hearts. They seem to relish the time together, just as their parents do, to sing songs about Jesus in their own language, make crafts, play games, and hear stories and dramas. Adam, Danielle, and Alyssa are doing a great job with worship for the adults and I sometimes help out with some keyboard. (Thanks Katie H. for the quick “mini-lesson” before we went!!) I’ve also been able to meet with the parents to discuss parenting challenges they’re experiencing both due to raising children in another culture as well as the typical issues of parenting.

I prayed before going that besides ministering effectively once here, that I and my team members would also be changed. It is amazing to me how God put together this team with all of the diverse skills and gifts that we would need! Each of us has a story to tell about why we’re here and we have all been moved by God’s spirit. For me, I’ve been challenged to find additional ways to “tell my story” to my own friends back in the States. I’ve been thinking about the coming years and praying that God will direct my paths and make me open to major changes if He calls me. I’ve also been thinking about priorities and how to make the really important things a reality in my life rather than be tyrannized by the urgent things.

Thank you for your prayers!! With God ALL things are possible and without Him – well – life is quite meaningless and very uncertain!
Beth

No comments: